Friday, March 13, 2015

Under mountains of water

It was Friday the Thirteenth, March, 2015. I was out on a run, which was one of the options for P.E.. There was only one week left before spring break, and two big projects were due the upcoming Monday, along with two tests. Those thoughts weren't even crossing my mind, though.
I was running around Veelee Lake and looking at the sky. Recently, I'd been reading a book that had been brought to my attention by Vsauce. It was called "In Search of the Multiverse," and was considerably better written than "Life of the Cosmos". The first chapter of "In Search of the Multiverse" (as far as I had read) was about quantum physics and sounded very interesting. The author had also written a book called "Schrödinger's Kittens," which I had seen before on Amazon, but not clicked on because the cover didn't interest me. It was a book about different interpretations of quantum mechanics, and it sounded interesting.
That is sort of what I was thinking about as I looked upwards. As I gazed into the sky, I saw mountains of water, composed perhaps of billions of trillions of little jiggling molecules, held up by air pressure. I thought of the sun, peeking through the clouds, providing the earth with heat from its giant furnace, pulling it inward with its gravity, which was insignificant in the eyes of the universe.
As I happily walked along, I saw a small island that could be easily jumped to. As I ran to it, I slid and fell on my back. Pain shot to my brain, in the form of electricity zapping through nerves. I struggled to breathe, but eventually got up. I walked back to school and washed the mud off my gym shirt.
There were still a few minutes left of class, so I decided to go get a bit more on my heart rate monitor. I went outside, and was stopped by two baseball players. One was trying out for the team, and the other one was making fun of his weak pitch. I told them that at least he pitched better than me, and I kept walking. Noticing my shoe was untied, I bent down and fixed it, wondering if knot theorists had made a more secure knot that was easy to tie and undo. Pondering this, I walked into a field and started running.
When my heart was beating over 180 times per minute (according to the smal device which measured electrical pulses), I walked to the fence to rest. A wolf spider was hiding in the grass. I mused about the habits of wolf spiders, seeing another one nearby. Then, something I had never seen before caught my eye. A baby wolf spider, perhaps less than two millimeters in length, just a speck, scurried across a blade of grass, which was like a large green plane for it. Before I had finished marveling at the baby, my watch beeped twice, reminding me to run. I went back inside, then prepared to leave for home.
As I left I saw a ladybug.

No comments: