Friday, May 26, 2017

Happy birthday!

Yesterday was my 18th birthday. I had a swingin' party. I also cleaned a bit and listened to The Adventure Zone, but mostly the party thing. Eight hours of party is a lot of hours of party. So what happened?

First, Kyle arrived, and we chatted as I set up Hive, because I thought we were going to have time. Before we even started the game, new folks arrived. Alici, Leah, and Maisie, if I'm not mistaken. I'm almost certainly mistaken. Anyways, the five of us played most of a round of P&H before more folks showed up, independently but at the same time. Grant, Olivia (B), Kat, Ben, Hayden, and Olivia (MW) showed up, although not in that order.

Now that we had 11 people, we decided to start playing proper party games. The first game we played was Two Rooms and a Boom, which was new to most of us (Ben had played once, Hayden a bunch). In 2R1B, the blue team tries to help the President avoid the Bomber, while the red team tries to help the Bomber get to the President. The rooms we used were the living room and the back porch. We had some fun times, although the first round was kinda wonky because there were only three rounds and everyone mostly just shared with everyone else. In the first game, was the Red Enforcer, and I lost.

In one particularly memorable game I, as the Blue Spy and the leader of the living room, identified in the first round both who the Bomber was and who the President was, both through unconventional means. I found the identity of the Bomber, Kyle, as part of a card share which we agreed upon before we even got our cards. I found the identity of the President, Kat, because her Wife, Olivia MW, asked me to keep them together. The rest of the game I was kind of a mastermind, successfully manipulating everyone until the blue team won, and the Wife was united with her President. In doing so, I kinda shafted Olivia B, the Mistress, but hey. It was good fun.

In the last game, we added the Nuclear Tyrant, a role who must share their identity with anyone who asks. If, at any point during the game, they share with the President or the Bomber, then they lose. If they never share with either, then they win, and everyone else loses. The card was dealt to Olivia MW, who managed to get to the last round without losing. Fortunately, Grant was in the room, and he was one of the critical cards. Unfortunately, Grant can be a bit... well. As the other four people screamed for him to share with Olivia (except Leah, who was the Mime), Olivia managed to fast-talk her way through the one-minute time limit. She then exploded all of us, and we all lost.

After our humiliating nuclear defeat, and because Maisie had left, we decided to switch to a different game. We then had several radical One Night Ultimate Werewolf games, some rife with mistakes. In one game, Olivia B and Ben were Masons, but they somehow missed each other during the night, so they both claimed solo Mason. On the last game, Grant was a Werewolf, and he forgot both to wake up with the other werewolves and to let the Minion know who he was. I, the Robber, first accidentally opened my eyes during the Witch phase, and saw there was no Witch. Then I robbed Grant of his role, and became a Werewolf. When I woke up, I had been given the Brand of the Villager, so I was fortunately turned back into a friendlyman. Unfortunately, as Grant had neglected all of his duties, NOBODY BELIEVED ME, even though I told the truth the ENTIRE TIME. When roles were revealed, we'd had enough, and decided to switch to a different game. Also Kyle had left.

The next game we played was Codenames, which is a word game about connecting things. There were nine people left, which means... Me, Hayden, Olivia (x2), Leah, Alici, Maisie, Ben, and Grant. No, wait. Ben left after we finished Werewolf, because he had to go to a grad party. And Ellie arrived at some point before he had left, as we played Werewolf. This is surprisingly hard to keep track of. Anyways, Hayden and I were the leaders for the first game, and although Hayden's team won, we were only one card away, after the amazing comeback that was Speed 3, which related Lap, Superhero, and Slug in one go. Codenames was great fun, and so was seeing our intelligence drop as the night went on. Ellie and Olivia B left, and seeing that the party was thinning out I decided to open presents.

Kat got me The Oregon Trail Card Game, a pen with Harry Potter on it, and a flashlight that makes the Batman symbol. Unfortunately she wasn't there for me to thank her, although I loved all of those gifts. Olivia B got me a copy of The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear. Maisie got me a mini-frisbee and some sneaky sandwich bags and some Instant Winter, which were nice. Leah got me motion cards, and emergency bowtie, and a can of Spaghettios to hide my valuables in. Also somebody got me lollipops. And Grant brought Oreos. And a few people (Alici, Olivia MW, Hayden, & some) got me money.

After Maisie and Leah left after gifts, leaving Grant, Alici, Olivia MW, Ellie, and Hayden. The six of us played Flux until 10:00, at which point everyone left. Alici won after stealing my Love card, and after I was forced to play All You Need Is Love. I went to bed, but not before realizing that the reason Zach hadn't come was because he didn't have my address. I felt kinda terrible about that for a while, but fortunately I was also very tired. And that was my birthday. The end.

No comments: