Saturday, April 16, 2016

Love or Something

First of all, I'm not sorry about the title. I saw an opportunity and I took it. Second, this post promises to be gushy and full of emotion, so whenever I feel awkward I'll put a link to a gushy love song.

Okay. So I know that self-diagnosis is usually bull, but I don't think someone else would be qualified to tell me. I think I'm panromantic. Fortunately, I apparently made up that word, so nobody can tell me I'm not. Okay, so I've just looked further, and it looks like other people use the world, but not in the sense I mean it. Which gives evidence that I'm crazy and different. Yay.

So, what do I mean when I say panromantic? Well, recently (last year) I bought into the Triangular Theory of Love, because it looks pretty, and the three sides make things clear enough. If you want a full explanation, you should see the Wikipedia page to which I just linked, but here's the basics: there are three aspects of love which are present in different amounts during a relationship. One aspect is Commitment, which is about staying with each other and having plans for the future. Another is Passion, which is where we get the sexytimes and the rush of happiness while together (and also creepystalkerism). The third aspect of love is Intimacy, which is feelings of connectedness, of being close, of knowing each other and liking each other.

The word that I invented, panromantic, deals with the Intimacy part. Essentially, I believe that I can form an Intimate attraction to things which aren't people. This is kinda hard to admit because (a) it makes me sound crazy and (b) I might be crazy for thinking it because (c) I have no idea what I'm talking about. Really though, it feels like love, like how I love my good friends, or my family. It's just this thing where everything about the thing is perfect and I don't ever want anything to change. Don't worry, I have a list.

In retrospect, the first time I got attached to a thing was with The Mysterious Benedict Society. I have read that book approximately 20 times. That is not an exaggeration. The characters are great and I love them and I want them to be my friends. Also it's funny and clever and it has puzzles.

The whole Professor Layton franchise is another thing I love. Most of what I said above applies here also. Actually, I don't think I have enough in me to gush about each thing individually, so I'll just finish. the list: Gravity Falls, Skin Horse, and Monster Pulse. There. It's not very long.

Part of why I wrongly think this is real is that it's a very distinct feeling that I have for these things. I don't love a lot of my favorite things, like Romantically Apocalyptic, El Goonish Shive, or Skullkickers (my three favorite comics) or Phineas and Ferb or Primeval (among my favorite TV series) or Artemis Fowl, The Spiderwick Chronicles, or the Secret Series (my favorite book series). There's a different sort of thing that love is. Then again, to reiterate, I might be crazy.

It feels good to get this off my chest. I'm not really any less stressed or anything, but there's always a chance that someone will understand. Anyways, I told myself I would say this: tomorrow is the future. Thank you very much, goodbye, good night.

Wow. I never even once linked to a love song. Time to fix that. Every "love" shall be linked.

No comments: