Sunday, April 16, 2017

Andres goes to Yale

Man, I really love Yale. Man. Okay. We got to Yale a bit after 8:30. I got a bagel for breakfast. I again forgot to hashtag my breakfast. Then, I took a tour of campus with a man named Phil. It was pretty cool, but it wasn't anything to right home about. The Yale campus is still the boringest of all four. When the tour was over, dad and I went to the Science and Engineering Forum, where some students talked about science and engineering. It's pretty sweet. I later found out that it's pretty small, too, though. There are about 20 students majoring in physics.

Dad and I had brunch in the Branford dining hall. It was pretty good. I think I put Yale second for food on my list, after CU (which is amazing) and followed by Reed and JHU. After brunch, things really heated up. The Peabody museum was great. I would love to work there. And maybe to put gnomes in the exhibits. Only time will tell. Anyways, that museum was the first big selling point for Yale.

Then, we went to a Residential College Life Panel at Hopper. This was when I realized that Yale was a place where I would really fit. I think it would do great things for me. Just seeing people talk about it, and the way they got along, made me want to go there.

Anyways, then I took something called a Master Class, which was basically a lecture delivered by a professor which condenses a semester into an hour. The Master Class I took was Sex, Evolution, and Human Nature, taught by Laurie Santos. It was a really well-put-together lecture and, of all the sample lectures I've attended across four colleges, it was the only one to hold my attention for the entire time. And this was after a whole week of colleges, which makes it even more impressive. So, that also made me want to come to Yale.

Then all the admitted students went into a theatre to see the Dean's address, and then to watch several musical and dance groups perform. All was cool. I especially liked the spoken word poetry and the final a cappella group. The whole thing made me want to stay even more. Then I had dinner. Alone. I didn't know where anyone was. I just ate my burger. It was a nice burger.

The burger eaten, I joined my dad and we went to get some loot from the Yale bookstore. We got a hat. Then, I went to have pizza with the Yale Glee Club. They didn't actually have pizza, but it was still fun. We sang some songs, and I almost succeeded at some parts. They have a really cool program, where they go on tours and everything. Next year's big tour is in Mexico, which is great. So good. Also, I was interviewed by one of the Glee Club members, who also works for the Yale newspaper.

That was all I really wanted to do for the program, so I joined my dad and we went to see a concert. Pitches and Tones is an a cappella band at Yale, and they were really good. Like, I'm aware that I'm using way too many praises in this post, but still. They were great. My favorite song was Lights, which was originally a pop song by Ellie Goulding, but somehow Pitches and Tones managed to make it sound haunting. What a group.

Then, we headed to the hotel. I really don't know what to do. I don't know who to choose. As it stands now, here's what the Cosmic Collective has to say: Order votes for Yale, Chaos votes for Reed, Conformity votes Yale, Subversion votes Reed, Logic really requires more information, but recognizing that this vote is simply to see what the playing field is like and not to make an actual decision, she votes Reed, and Instinct votes Reed. So, at this point in time, Reed wins, it seems. I'll write a bigger post about it eventually. For now, it's 12:24, so I need to sleep.

No comments: